If you want to wire your home for Ethernet networking, you have several choices. You can spend a lot of time and effort snaking cables through your walls and installing wall plates, you can pay someone else a lot of money to install the cabling and wall plates, you can run wires out in the open where they can be tripped over and produce an eyesore, or you can use this Ethernet over Power Powerline Converter Kit.
The Powerline Converter system uses the existing electrical wiring in your home or office to transmit network traffic. As long as you have a power outlet in a room, you can have network connectivity!
Each kit comes with two powerline adapters. Each adapter features a standard US NEMA 1-15 non-polarized blade plug, which serves the dual function of providing power and carrying the network data. Each adapter also features a 10/100/1000Mbps auto-MDIX Ethernet port and a Reset/Pairing button.
Installation is as simple as plugging the adapters into wall outlets and pressing the pairing buttons to establish a connection between the two. By default the system creates a public, unprotected network. However, by using the included setup utility, you can easily create a private, protected network. Up to 9 total Powerline adapters can be used within a single network and multiple networks can operate on the same electric circuit, giving a level of flexibility and control not found in most ordinary Ethernet configurations.
These Powerline adapters fully conform to the Homeplug AV2 standard, which means that these adapters can be used in the same network as Homeplug AV2 compliant adapters from other manufacturers. The adapters are able to transmit network traffic to distances up to 300 meters (984 feet), however for best results it is recommended to ensure the total network length does not exceed 100 meters (328 feet).
Each Powerline adapter measures about 3.2" x 2.4" x 2.1" and is compatible with AC power networks from 100 ~ 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz. LEDs on the face of each converter indicate power and network connectivity status.
- Compliant with the HomePlug AV2, IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, and IEEE 802.3ab standards
- Plug and Play - no drivers required
- Uses existing power wiring to transmit network data traffic
- Up to 1000Mbps (Gigabit) wired data throughput
- Can connect to Powerline adapters up to 300 meters distant
- Web based utility to manage PLC features and settings
- Quality of Service (QoS) feature prioritizes Internet traffic
- Compatible with all other manufacturers' HomePlug AV2-compliant devices
- Supports advanced 128-bit AES encryption to ensure data security
- Pair button quickly establishes a Powerline network with other Powerline devices